© 2019 All rights Reserved.
How we work with our partners
The Kingmakers Mission
1. Find partners that will be the best fit for the Kingmakers community.
2. Ensure that each of our partners finds the right business to acquire.
3. Ensure that each of our partners businesses succeeds post-acquisition.
The Kingmakers Partnership Philosophy
The Kingmakers team has acquired over 20 businesses over the past 5 years. We have built systems, procedure, and relationships to streamline and optimize each step in the acquisition process.
Our team has developed a proprietary 6-step system that we help our partners implement during the acquisition process.
Phase 1: Onboarding
- We do a deep dive with our partners to understand exactly what type of business (size, industry, business model, ideal growth opportunities) is the best fit for their unique skills and interests
- We conduct in-person training workshops to help our partners understand the kingmakers system
- We provide access to our extensive training materials, diligence templates and draft legal docs
- We provide access to a like-minded community of other business buyers
Phase 2: Sourcing & Screening
- We leverage our custom-developed analysis software and well-trained team to identify, analyze, and connect with thousands of off-market businesses a week on behalf of our partners
- We also have relationships with multiple top brokers to get a first look at their deal-flow when it is a fit for our partners
- We effectively streamline seller communication and pre-offer diligence to gather enough information to vet the deal and put in a non-binding offer
Phase 3: Offer & financing
- We help our partners structure and negotiate a non-binding offer (LOI) that is appropriate based on an individual company’s historic performance, risks, and future opportunities
- We help develop a financing plan that de-risks the business and provides enough cash flow to invest in growth
- This typically includes a combination of seller financing/earnouts, our partner’s capital, Kingmaker’s own capital, as well as financing from banks and other equity providers
- We work with our lending partners (as appropriate) to pre-qualify each deal in advance of presenting a binding offer to the seller
Phase 4: Confirmatory diligence & closing
- We train our partners to conduct deep diligence on the financials, operations, and competitive landscape of each deal using our internally developed templates and tools
- We also have relationships with external partners that can help conduct diligence on behalf of our partners if preferred
- We work with our partners to craft closing documentation using our legal templates/counsel or those prepared by our Partner’s own counsel as preferred
- We work with our partners as well as various counterparties (banks, brokers, escrow agents) to ensure a seamless and efficient close process
Phase 5: Onboarding & growth
- We work closely with our partners during the seller transition period to ensure all key knowledge and relationships are transferred from the seller
- We then work with our partners to develop a systematic growth plan for the business that leverages the learnings in the operating and competitive diligence processes as well as our own unique skills and experiences
- We also work with our partners systematize key areas of the business including: both back-office functions (accounting/finance, support, staffing, vendors/contractors) and growth (identifying new monetization and traffic opportunities, developing continuous lead generation systems)
Phase 6: Ongoing partnership
After the acquisition and onboarding phase is complete, the Kingmakers team works with our partners to continually grow and optimize the business in several ways including:
- We help identify and train potential general managers for the business owner
- We provide access to a vetted list of vendors for key back office and growth services
- We schedule regular “mini-board” meetings to discuss progress on key initiatives and regularly bring in key strategic advisors to attend these sessions
- We help regularly refresh the growth plan and company strategy
- We provide continuous feedback, guidance and training on new growth strategies that we learn from our other partners
- We help at length with strategic initiatives including identifying , closing and integrating add-on acquisitions as well as positioning the business for exit
We know all of the above is a bit of a mouthful – but thanks for sticking through this to the end. If anything, we hope this shows you a bit of how we aim to work together to buy your first (or next) business.